Acceptable Use and Linking Policy
Maryland Families Engage is maintained through a joint partnership with the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and the IDEALS Institute at the Johns Hopkins School of Education. Individual state agency websites are separately maintained by the respective agency.
Links to Government Websites
Maryland Families Engage links to publicly available websites that are government-owned or government sponsored websites in domains such as .gov, .us, .mil and .fed. Maryland Families Engage may link to: quasi-government agencies and websites created by public sector/private sector partnerships and some government-sponsored websites that end in .com, .org, or .net.
Links to Non-Government Websites
Maryland Families Engage may, at its discretion, provide links to websites of nonprofit organizations and private or commercial entities if they offer information or services related to topics covered on the Maryland Families Engage website and are consistent with the purpose of the website. All requests for links to non-governmental sites will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. MSDE and JHU IDEALS neither endorse nor guarantee in any way the external organizations, services, advice, or products included in these website links. Furthermore, MSDE and JHU IDEALS neither controls nor guarantees the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of the information contained in non-government website links.
Link Evaluation Criteria
MSDE evaluates all links and resources included on Maryland Families Engage using the following criteria:
- Is the website an official government-owned or supported website?
- Does the website provide government information and/or services in a way that is not available on an official government website?
- Does the website complement existing information, products and services on Maryland Families Engage?
- Is the website accessible and applicable to a wide audience?
- Is the website’s content relevant, useful and authoritative for citizens, businesses and/or government officials?
- Does the website’s information appear to be accurate and current?
- Is the website’s approach to the privacy of personal information consistent with MSDE’s privacy and security policies?
- Is the primary intent of the website to educate and inform, rather than persuade, convert, or sell? The site may include advertising but must be free from heavy marketing or promotion of products.
- Does the website provide information free of charge?
Linking to Maryland Families Engage
Linking to the Maryland Families Engage website is permitted with the following limitations:
- You may not capture Maryland Families Engage pages within frames or present its content as your own.
- You may not state or imply that the State of Maryland, Johns Hopkins University, or Maryland Families Engage is endorsing your product, site, or services.
Maryland Families Engage does not engage in reciprocal linking.
Maryland Families Engage will not link to any website that contains the following types of content:
- Sites that exhibit hate, bias, discrimination, pornography, libelous or otherwise defamatory content;
- Affiliation or advocacy of a political party, organization, or candidate running for office;
- Content not suitable for readers or viewers of all ages;
- Content that infringes on any trademark, copyright, or patent rights of another;
- Content that a reasonable citizen may not consider to maintain the dignity and decorum appropriate for government.
Maryland Families Engage reserves the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with MSDE’s mission or policies.
We take data security and the privacy of personal information very seriously. MSDE does not publicly post information online that contains personally identifiable data of any student, educator, or citizen.
Notice of Accessibility
MSDE’s Notice of Accessibility can be found on the MSDE website.
Maryland Families Engage offers translations of its site content through Google Translate. Because Google Translate is an external website, Maryland Families Engage does not control the quality or accuracy of translated content. All Maryland Families Engage content is filtered through Google Translate which may result in unexpected and unpredictable degradation of portions of text, images and the general appearance on translated pages. Google Translate may maintain unique privacy and use policies. These policies are not controlled by the Maryland State Department of Education and are not associated with MSDE’s privacy and use policies. Users should consult the original English content on the Maryland Families Engage website if there are any questions about the translated content.
Maryland Families Engage cannot guarantee or claim responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, or performance of Google Translate nor the limitations provided by this service, such as the inability to translate specific files like PDFs and graphic (e.g. .jpgs, .gifs, etc.).
Maryland Families Engage provides Google Translate as an online tool for its users, but MSDE does not directly endorse the website or imply that it is the only solution to users. All site visitors may choose to use similar tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use Maryland Families Engage content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk. MSDE is not responsible for any damages or issues of translated content not officially sanctioned and approved by the agency. MSDE assumes no liability for any of your activities in connection with use of the Google Translate functionality or content.