How to increase family engagement in schools and programs?
Start by establishing partnerships with parents and families to ensure your students’ academic success from day one!
Maryland’s vision for family engagement is a two-generation strategy that focuses on creating opportunities for and addressing the needs of students and their families.
Back To School
Take advantage of Back-To-School Night, which in some cases, might be your only opportunity to meet your families face-to-face. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, events such as Back-To-School Giveaways, PTO, PTA meetings or other special events were the most common school-related activities in which over 85% of families participated.
Partnerships with Families
In five simple steps, you can use the Back-To-School Family Engagement E-book to begin building relationships with your students and families:
- Step One: Complete the Meet My Teacher page.
- Step Two: Write a brief message encouraging families to complete the Meet My Family and Goal-Setting Template pages.
- Step Three: Share the book with families via e-mail or text them a link to the family engagement e-book.
- Step Four: E-mail or text a follow-up message to families to ensure they complete the book together as a family.
- Step Five: After the first 100 days, e-mail or text the certificate to families.
Family Engagement Resources and Activities
Visit the MFE Family Engagement Collection or Family Activity Collection for helpful resources and activities to engage families. Also, take a moment to review the Maryland Family Engagement Early Childhood Framework and Toolkit for best practices and strategies to support families.
Below are just a few examples of the resources available to download and share:
- Family Literacy Bags for Educators
- The ABCs of Family Engagement
- Family Partnership Agreement
- The Family Partnership Goal-Setting Agreement with Families
- The Educator’s and Family’s Guide to Mental Health and Self-Care
- Supporting Authentic Family Engagement
- Guide to Inspiring Partnerships Between Home and Schools
- Families as Advocates and Leaders
- Guide to Developing Relationships with Families
Please complete the forms below to download your Back-To-School Family Engagement E-book (Birth-PreK 4, Kindergarten or 1st-12th Grades).
Birth- PreK 4 Educators Family Engagement Back-To-School Family Engagement E-book
Kindergarten Educators Family Engagement Back-To-School Family Engagement E-book
1st-12th Educators Family Engagement Back-To-School Family Engagement E-book