Welcome to the Little Chef’s Corner
The Benefits of Cooking with Children
DYK: When you cook with children, you create family bonds and encourage healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
By following step-by-step directions, measuring ingredients, and counting serving sizes, your little chef is learning basic math concepts, which can lead to a STEM career. Use the resources below to learn more about the benefits of cooking with children:
- Children Learn So Much From Cooking
- The Benefits of Cooking With Children
- 5 Great Reasons to Cook with Your Kids
Tips to Introduce Your Little Chef to New Recipes:
- Start with simple, no-cook recipes for beginners.
- Review the recipe step-by-step with your little chef.
- Ask your little chef to gather all the ingredients and equipment needed, including the measuring cups and utensils.
- Wash hands using plain soap and water and scrub the backs, between fingers, and under nails for at least 20 seconds.
- Encourage your little chef to smell, taste, and feel the ingredients.
- Ensure your little chef measure each ingredient accurately.
Discover MFE’s favorite healthy recipes children love to make and eat:
- MFE Presents: The Top 10 Spring Recipes for Family Dinner!
- Make Your Own Popsicle
- Healthy Holiday Snacks Children Love to Make and Eat
The Little Chef’s Certificate
Whether your little chef plans to cook for a living or just for fun, children develop critical life skills from cooking. Share your photos or videos of your little chef “in action” with @MDEngageEarly on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram using the Hashtags #MyLittleChef and #HealthyGreenFamilies.
- Download The Little Chef’s Certificate