Welcome to the Little Chefs Corner
The Benefits of Cooking with Children
DYK: When you cook with children, you create family bonds and encourage healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
By following step-by-step directions, measuring ingredients and counting serving sizes, your little chefs are learning basic math concepts, which can lead to a future STEM career. Use the resources below to learn more about the benefits of cooking with children:
- Children Learn So Much From Cooking
- The Benefits of Cooking With Children
- 5 Great Reasons to Cook with Your Kids
Tips to Introduce Your Little Chefs to New Recipes:
- Start with simple, no-cook recipes for beginners.
- Review the recipe step-by-step with your little chefs.
- Ask your little chefs to gather all the ingredients and equipment needed, including the measuring cups and utensils.
- Wash hands using plain soap and water, and scrub the backs, between fingers and under nails for at least 20 seconds.
- Encourage your little chefs to smell, taste and feel the ingredients.
- Ensure they measure each ingredient accurately.
Discover MFE’s favorite healthy recipes children love to make and eat:
- MFE Presents: The Top 10 Spring Recipes for Family Dinner!
- Make Your Own Popsicle
- Healthy Holiday Snacks Children Love to Make and Eat
The Little Chefs Certificate
Whether your little chefs plan to cook for a living or just for fun, children develop critical life skills from cooking. Share your photos or videos of your little chefs “in action” with @MDEngageEarly on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram using the Hashtags #MyLittleChefs and #HealthyGreenFamilies.
- Download The Little Chefs Certificate