Jumpstart Spring by Adding “Fuel For The Future”
Navigating the challenges associated with daily life, family and work can leave your tank empty. Just like your vehicle, your body needs fuel to keep moving forward.
National Nutrition Month® is the perfect opportunity to jump-start the mind and body. Sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, this year’s theme is “Fuel for the Future.” After the long winter months, we can all use a boost of energy. Research shows that eating healthy meals also can help manage anxiety and improve moods.
Celebrate this annual observance by creating a plan to practice mindful eating, eat more healthy meals together as a family and add physical activities to your daily routine. During March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics invites everyone to learn how to make informed food choices, develop healthy eating habits, and incorporate physical activity into daily routines.
To get started, food and nutrition experts recommend the following activities for National Nutrition Month and beyond:
- Eat with the environment in mind by purchasing foods with minimal packaging.
- Plan meals or try new recipes together as a family.
- Take the Family Seed Challenge by planting a spring vegetable garden.
- Turn the TV off and collect the electronic devices for the family dinner.
- Read books about healthy foods.
- Take after-dinner walks as a family.
- Host an international at-home taste testing of flavors and dishes from around the world.
- Visit a local farmers market.
- Eat more plant-based meals.
- Cook with your little chef.
For a referral to a registered dietitian nutritionist and other food and nutrition information, visit eatright.org. Learn about the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), which provides nutritionally balanced meals that contribute to the wellness, healthy growth and development of young children and the health and wellness of older adults and chronically impaired disabled persons.
What’s for Dinner?
Discover nutrition tips, healthy recipes, fun gardening guides and more with The MFE Nutrition Collection and Little Chef’s Corner on the resources page. New resources are coming! So visit this collection often.
- Healthy Green Families Grow at Local Farmer’s Market
- MFE Presents: #HealthyGreenFamilies
- Grow It, Try It, Like It! Fun with Fruits and Vegetables at Family Child Care
- Fun Children’s Books about Healthy Food
- This Summer, Eat Smart to Play Hard (A Parents’ Guide)
- Tips for Teachers: Promoting Healthy Eating
- Team Nutrition Garden Resources